Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life's Great and Birthdays are a Good Thing

Ok it's my first blog.  This is a very important day, at least for me, I was born some 66 years ago on January 11, 1946 at Millpoint, WV which is about 30 miles south of the the now famous ski resort Snowshoe and I am sure on my day of birth it was a cold wintry day with at least two feet on snow on the ground.  My homeplace was at the foot of Kinnison Mountain which was 3988 feet in elevation, thus explaining our winter weather was snow, snow, snow lasting from October to at least the end of March and sometimes a crazy weather pattern coming through as late as May.  Speaking of birthdays my son celebrated his 28th birthday on January 9th and my half brother would have celebrated his 51st birthday on January 10th but he passed away some 5 years ago at an early age due to kidney failure.  However, he had been blessed with a kidney transplant (kidney donated by his step sister) around age 15--was told his kidney would last about 30 years and it was within days of the 30 year mark.


Meanwhile back to present day.  I feel great at age 66 and my wife feels likewise (but at a much younger age), especially since my son will be giving college a try.  He is going to Concord University (my alma mater) for the spring 2012 semester to enroll  in one class in order to get acclimated to the classroom atmosphere and to gain self confidence, etc in the world of higher education.  I am sure after next school year he will be choosing to go to a larger and more reknown university in his chosen field of study but first things first and if chooses to stay or go wherever that will be fine.  Being out of school for some 10 years he is looking forward to getting back into education as he has a high degree of intelligence which needs to be tested and he has an abundance of great ideas which are worthy of being shared and grown with others.


Well I have had a great life to date and can't wait until tomorrow to see what it brings.  So I suppose Lowell Thomas wouldn't mind if I would use his final line of the day--"So long until tomorrow".....

No comments:

Post a Comment